Thursday, April 30, 2015

John 7:18

"The one who speaks for himself seeks his own glory. But He who seeks the glory of the One who sent Him is true, and there is no unrighteousness in Him."

Jesus was speaking of Himself in this verse, but I think the mindset is one of the many things a Christ follower is called to emulate about His life. The validity in Jesus' teachings was most evident in the fact that He was seeking glory for God, not for Himself. A multitude of other religious leaders throughout the years have sought primarily to make much of themselves. Christ was clarifying that a person's motive is a clear indication of their truth.

I struggle to do anything for God and not for my own glory. It is an almost constant battle to make much of God and little of myself in my preaching, sense of humor, intelligence, and every other aspect of who I am. It's like I'm constantly seeking the pleasure of positive attention. Not only does this negate many of my efforts to make much of God, it makes me sin even more when something happens to take away from my glory. I point fingers, downplay offenses, and fail to own up to mistakes. Almost any humility I put on display is false or obligatory. I don't take pleasure in making little of me and much of God, and this is the opposite of what Christ did.

It's hard to call myself a Christ follower when something so innate about His character and ministry can barely be found in me. If it weren't for grace, I definitely wouldn't deserve to be counted among His children, or to be part of His work in the world. Fortunately, perfect motives are not necessary for God to work, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't strive for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment