Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Exodus 36:29

"So the Israelites brought a free will offering to the Lord, all the men and women whose hearts prompted them to bring something for all the work that the Lord, through Moses, had commanded to be done."

God commanded Moses and the people to create a place for Him to meet with His people. For whatever reason, God wanted a specific location to interact with them. My assumption is, without Christ as intercessor, the guidelines for interacting with God had to be very clear, and adhered to with great care. 

Regardless, God told His people to create this place with very clear instructions. However, only those whose hearts were prompted obeyed the command, and they did so willingly. The Creator asked, and those creations who adored Him, helped out willingly. 

This makes me wonder about the whole tithe principle. You can't argue that the idea of tithing is in the Old Testsment, but I wonder if God's true goal for us is to give to His kingdom willingly. A tithe is a good amount to give, but is my motivation from the heart or from the law? I think at this point in my Christian walk, I tithe willingly, but I don't doubt that many Christ followers give because they feel like they have to. I wonder if obedience for the sake of obedience is pleasing to God? If so, is it possible for Him to be more pleased when we reach the place where we give because our hearts prompt us?

I tithe willingly because I love God, but I'm hoping to get better at giving beyond 10% of my money, time, and ability to God's Kingdom work, specifically beyond the four walls of the building we've mislabeled as the "church." God is prompting my heart to give more towards making Him famous in the world, but I need to follow through with His leading. 

God has made many commands of us through Jesus; I'm hoping to continue to progress towards the goal of being a man that is completely prompted in my heart to obey. Right now, I more often obey because that's what I feel like I'm supposed to do. One day, I hope to have a love so strong that I can't help but obey out of adoration for my Creator. 

No comments:

Post a Comment