Saturday, May 16, 2015

Proverbs 13:10

"Arrogance leads to nothing but strife, but wisdom is gained by those who take advice."

A lot of Proverbs cuts right to the heart. There are so many concise bits of teaching that I think it's impossible for anyone to read without seeing themselves and their flaws reflected in the text. 

Arrogance is a real struggle for me, which is weird because I spent a lot of time getting made fun of in my younger years. For various reasons, I was a target for light to moderate bullying. Although never physically assaulted, guys in my grade found it easy to tear me down with words, and it wasn't until junior high that I found a safe space with some close friends. In this friend group, I grew in confidence, and during high school, with all the advanced classes, I slowy was able to get away from the bullies, all of which were not intelligent, and therefore not in the bulk of my classes. From there, I started finding the activities I was good at, and ignored those things in which I did not excel. Thus, I grew in confidence, knowing I was better than many at the things I put my effort into. 

At some point, I guess confidence became arrogance. Rarely do I think someone has a better idea than me, and for a while, it was difficult to accept advice. I don't think I have trouble accepting advice that is clearly wise and applicable, but I don't often think someone's suggestion is better than what my ideas are. I'm not sure if I'm right, and my ideas are actually better, or if I'm just blind. 

Either way, this bit of wisdom about taking advice is vital. In a weird way, I think taking advice has actually made me arrogant. I am a sponge of wisdom, and learning from those better than me is my favorite thing to do. Once I learn though, my confidence from good training can quickly become arrogance. It is a fine line that I must walk. And the bit about strife is dead on. Arrogance does nothing but cause friction in a relationship. It is not a characteristic that moves a relationship forward, so a healthy marriage, friendship, or work environment hinges on defeating arrogance, and excelling in humility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment