Monday, April 13, 2015

Exodus 23:29

"I will not drive them out ahead of you in a single year; otherwise, the land would become desolate, and wild animals would multiply against you."

The Israelites had just been given a new land; unfortunately, that land had current tenants. Their immediate thought was probably that God should clear the riffraff out so they could move in, but He made it very clear it would not happen on a timeline they would have created. If He simply came in and cleaned shop, the Israelites would not have been large enough to take over the land before the animals moved in, creating another issue for them to overcome.

I would say that I'm guilty of getting frustrated with God's timing. We talk a lot about how perfect it is, but it's often incredibly inconvenient to wait on His time frame. Obviously, with a big picture vision I would be fine waiting, but with my limited scope, it's really frustrating. 

This story of the Israelites reminds me that waiting on the Lord is more than just a spiritual saying, but a prudent choice for the future. I used to work for a guy that was crazy intentional about everything he did. His choices often seemed random, but as I came to know him better, and as he let me into the decision making more, I realized that his purpose was always clear. Things that made no sense whatsoever to me ended up being incredibly logical and prudent once he showed me the thought process. After a while, I started trusting more and doubting less. Simply asking for his thought process behind his choices made all the difference. I came to trust an imperfect man with decisions that often didn't make sense on the surface, so you figure it'd be easy to trust my perfect God with how He lays things out. He won't always reveal to me the reasoning, but I suspect that in eternity I'll see how incredibly prudent and logical this seemingly random God has actually been throughout my life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment