Thursday, April 2, 2015

2 Corinthians 5:9

"Therefore, whether we are at home or away, we make it our aim to be pleasing to Him."

Previous to this verse, Paul articulates that our eternal dwelling is our home, and in our current state, we are away from home. Our true place is resurrected with Christ, but whether we are earth bound or living in eternity, our goal is identical; we must be seeking to please God.

When I teach teenagers about God, I find myself struggling sometimes to articulate why we should resist sin when our eternity is secure. What's the payoff for fighting sexual urges, desires for popularity, and all other momentary pleasures when we know that these things will have no bearing on our eternity? Of course, I understand that just because I can sin doesn't mean I should, but even I struggle sometimes with wondering what is the point of fighting so hard against sin?

This verse, among several others, points out the primary reason for struggling to pursue godly actions- it pleases God. God is pleased when we refrain from sin. I would assume this would be similar to a married couple with vows. Let's imagine that a married couple's vows are more than just conditional promises, but honest to God, till death do we part, binding agreements. If vows truly were unconditional, each person would be free to do as they like, not taking into consideration how their choices may impact the other person. I truly believe my vows with my wife are unconditional. However, I don't take pleasure in hurting my wife. Seeing her reaction when I have done something to harm her is reason enough to avoid the same action in the future. I'm assuming because we can't see God's displeasure, it's easier to slack off in the fight against sin. However, scripture and prayer reveal that God is pleased when we seek to eliminate sin. 

My motivation for fighting sin is not for my salvation, but for my God. The joy He feels when I actively flee from sin and run to Him is real, although I don't get to see it. Whether I'm at home, or away, I must seek to please Him by not only avoiding sin, but pursuing godly actions, words, and thoughts. This aim does not change from this life to the next. However, once I'm home, I get to see first hand His pleasure at what I do, say, and think.

No comments:

Post a Comment